JAMAICAN JERK JACKFRUIT CARIBBEAN BLACK BEAN MANGO WRAPS
Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit Caribbean Black Bean Mango Wraps. These Burritos are packed with hot shredded jerk jackfruit, black beans, mango and cucumbers. Serve as wraps or make a sandwich or bowl. Vegan Soy-free Recipe. Can be gluten-free with gf wraps.
Author: Vegan Richa
Recipe type: Main
Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit:
- 1 20 oz can young green jackfruit
- 2 tsp oil, divided
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ to ¾ tsp cayenne
- ¼ to ½ tsp black pepper
- a good dash of cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice.
- 1 tsp or more lime juice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ to ½ tsp sugar or other sweetener
Caribbean Black Beans:
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans or 1.5 cups cooked
- ¼ tsp all spice
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp salt ( or to taste, depends on the beans)
- 1.5 tbsp orange juice or 2 tsp lemon juice + ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Chopped mango
- sliced cucumbers or pickles
- cilantro or baby greens
- salt, pepper, lemon or lime juice
Jamaican jerk Jackfruit:
- Drain the jackfruit and wash well. Squeeze out the liquid really well by pressing the jackfruit pieces in a paper napkin. Shred in a food processor or thinly slice using a knife.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shredded jackfruit and all dry spices (or 1.5 tbsp or more premade jamaican jerk seasoning) . Cook for 2-3 mins or until the spices start to smell roasted.
- Add lime juice and water and sugar and cook partially covered for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture is dry, taste and adjust salt and heat. Add in the 1 tsp oil and continue to roast the jackfruit until golden brown on some edges. Serve this in wraps, sandwiches, tacos, nachos.
Make the Caribbean black beans:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. 4-5 mins.
- Add black beans, spices, water and orange or lime juice and simmer for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
Make the wraps:
- Layer the black beans, then cilantro or chopped baby green, then a good helping of the jerk jackfruit, then cucumber and mango, lemon, salt and pepper. Fold into a burrito and serve.