JAMAICAN JERK JACKFRUIT CARIBBEAN BLACK BEAN MANGO WRAPS
Author: Vegan Richa
Recipe type: Main
- 1 20 oz can young green jackfruit
- 2 tsp oil, divided
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ to ¾ tsp cayenne
- ¼ to ½ tsp black pepper
- a good dash of cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice.
- 1 tsp or more lime juice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ to ½ tsp sugar or other sweetener
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans or 1.5 cups cooked
- ¼ tsp all spice
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp salt ( or to taste, depends on the beans)
- 1.5 tbsp orange juice or 2 tsp lemon juice + ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Chopped mango
- sliced cucumbers or pickles
- cilantro or baby greens
- salt, pepper, lemon or lime juice
- Drain the jackfruit and wash well. Squeeze out the liquid really well by pressing the jackfruit pieces in a paper napkin. Shred in a food processor or thinly slice using a knife.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shredded jackfruit and all dry spices (or 1.5 tbsp or more premade jamaican jerk seasoning) . Cook for 2-3 mins or until the spices start to smell roasted.
- Add lime juice and water and sugar and cook partially covered for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture is dry, taste and adjust salt and heat. Add in the 1 tsp oil and continue to roast the jackfruit until golden brown on some edges. Serve this in wraps, sandwiches, tacos, nachos.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. 4-5 mins.
- Add black beans, spices, water and orange or lime juice and simmer for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Layer the black beans, then cilantro or chopped baby green, then a good helping of the jerk jackfruit, then cucumber and mango, lemon, salt and pepper. Fold into a burrito and serve.
BBQ Jackfruit Slider
250 Grams of The Jack Man nude jackfruit
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup barbecue sauce (one with a smoky or tangy flavor is recommended)
4 buns or rolls
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the jackfruit cores from the flesh and discard. Pull the jackfruit flesh apart until a shredded consistency is achieved. Set aside.
- Using your fingers, press the jackfruit upward to remove the seeds. Don’t worry about getting out every last seed, but try to remove most.
- In a large pan, sauté the onion in the olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté a bit longer. (Be careful not to burn the garlic.) Add the jackfruit, liquid smoke, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, then cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed. (If you don’t have a cover, simply simmer longer.)
- Spread the mixture out on a nonstick baking sheet, then pop in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with the barbecue sauce. Return the pan to the oven and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mixture browns on top.
- Place a spoonful of the jackfruit on one half of a bun or roll, then top with the other half. Serve with coleslaw.
Makes 4 servings
Add Erin’s coleslaw.
SPICY JACKFRUIT SALAD
yield 2 servings
250 grams of The Jack Man nude jackfruit.
5-6 cloves garlic, halved and sliced
1-4 small red chilis, sliced (use one-half of a chili or omit altogether if you don’t like spice)
3 scallions, chopped (separate the white parts from the green parts)
1/8 cup vegan fish sauce
1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 shallots, thinly sliced
vegetable oil, for frying
lime wedges and crushed peanuts, for serving
Rinse the jackfruit very well under cold water. Transfer to a small crockpot, cover with some water, and cook on low for 15 mins.Remove from the crockpot, then gently break it up with a fork. It should break apart very easily. Blot with some paper towels to ensure that the jackfruit is dried off very well. (I also placed it in a 250-degree oven for about 15 minutes to ensure it was dried enough, but I don’t think this is absolutely necessary.)
Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Throw in the chilis and saute for about a minute. Then throw in the white part of the chopped scallions and saute for about two minutes. Throw in the sliced garlic and saute for another minute or two, making sure that the garlic does not burn. Now add in the jackfruit and the vegan fish sauce and saute for about two minutes more. Remove from the heat to cool.
In another small saucepan, heat a few inches of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. After 5-7 minutes, your oil should be ready. Throw a shallot slice in—if it sizzles immediately, then throw the rest of the shallot slices in and fry for about 2-3 minutes. Remove with a skimmer and transfer to some paper towels to drain and cool.
Wait until everything has cooled down before you assemble your salad. Toss together the jackfruit and shallots, then throw in the green parts of the scallions, as well as the mint and cilantro.
Serve the salad topped with the crushed peanuts and lime wedges. Add a little more vegan fish sauce if desired.
Jackfruit Crab Like Sandwich
- 1 500 Grams packed of The Jack Man nude jackfruit.
- 1 stalk celery (about 1/2 cup), chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 2 tablespoons red onion
- 3/4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup egg-free mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons pickled relish
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon kelp granules (depending on how fishy you like it)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Take each piece of jackfruit and squeeze out as much water as you can, then using a fork or your fingers, pull the pieces apart into shreds, you may need to use a knife to chop up the harder end pieces.
- In a large bowl, add the shredded jackfruit, celery, chives, red onion, tarragon, paprika, lemon juice, mayo, mustard, pickled relish, salt, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of the kelp granules. Mix everything until well combined. Taste and increase the kelp granules or salt and pepper, if desired.
Jackfruit Crab Like Cakes
Arame adds a mild seafood flavor, but if it’s not available, try a little crumbled sushi nori.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 small onion
- 1 500 Grams packet of The Jack Man nude jackfruit
- 14 ounces firm tofu or 1 15-ounce can white beans , drained
- 2 tablespoons dried arame , crushed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (or more to taste)
- 2 large cloves garlic , pressed
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or salt to taste)
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard , any variety
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (quick or regular oats) or quinoa flakes, uncooked)
- Breading , optional (see below)
Chop the onion finely in food processor and place it in a medium bowl. Drain the jackfruit and rinse it well and add it to the processor. Pulse until it is broken into rough pieces about 1/2-inch in size; keep it fairly coarse and be careful not to grind it into a paste. Add it to the onions.
Place the tofu or white beans into the processor along with all remaining ingredients except oatmeal and breading. Pulse to crumble the tofu finely and distribute the seasonings. Add the tofu mixture to the bowl along with the oatmeal, and stir well to combine with the jackfruit and onions. Refrigerate for about 15-30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. If you are using a breading (see note below), spread it on a large plate.
Scoop up about 1/3 cup of the burger mixture and shape it into a patty. Place it into the breading, if desired, sprinkle a little breading on top, and gently pat into the top and sides. Carefully place it on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining mixture. Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully turn over each cake and bake for another 20 minutes. Serve alone with tartar sauce and spicy ketchup or on a bun.
You can use bread crumbs (including gluten-free), crushed crackers, or panko to bread the cakes or you can leave them unbreaded. For fresh bread crumbs, use about two slices of bread, crumbled in a blender or food processor. For crackers and panko, use about 2-3 ounces.
Makes about 7 cakes with beans, 9 with tofu. Nutritional data below are for cakes with tofu but without breading.
With beans, excluding breading, each cake provides 93 calories, 10 calories from fat, 1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 354.5mg sodium, 204.8mg potassium, 15.5g carbohydrates, 3.1g fiber, less than 1g sugar, 5.7g protein
SPICY HEMP CRUSTED JACKFRUIT NUGGETS
Author: Vegan Richa
Recipe type: Snack
Cuisine: Vegan, Glutenfree
- 1 20 oz can of young green jackfruit
- 1 cup of water
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp old bay seasoning, or use garam masala + celery salt
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ cup non dairy milk
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 tbsp starch such as corn or arrowroot
- ¼ tsp garlic
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp old bay seasoning
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds r more almond meal or panko breadrumbs
- 2 tbsp almond meal
- ½ to 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ to ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Drain the jackfruit. Wrap in paper towel and squeeze lightly to remove excess brine. Slice into bite size slices. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine jackfruit in a saucepan with water, garlic, garam masala, salt and cayenne and bring to a boil. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes. Total about 13 minutes. Drain, squeeze lightly and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake fo 10 minutes to dry out slightly. (this step adds flavor the the jackfruit bites).
- Prepare your breading station. In a bowl, mix the non dairy milk, spices, flax and starch until smooth. Let it sit for 2 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl combine the hemp breading and spices.
- Take each jackfruit slice, dip in the milk mixture, then place in breading bowl. Move it around to cover all the surfaces, place on parchment lined baking tray. Repeat for all pieces. Spray oil on the pieces.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with favorite cooling dipping sauce like vegan ranch.
for variation: use coarsely ground pumpkin or sunflower seeds, or other nuts, or ½ cup breadcrumbs.
raw unripe jackfruit biryani recipe – mildly spiced and subtly flavored meaty vegetarian biryani made with jakcfruit or kathal.
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
for the rice:
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water for cooking the rice
- water for soaking the rice
- one single strand of mace (javitri)
- 2 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 to 3 cloves (laung)
- 1 tejpatta (indian bay leaf)
- salt as required
for the gravy:
- 300 to 350 grams raw unripe jackfruit Or about 3 cup chopped jackfruit (kathal)
- 1 cup full fat curd (yogurt or dahi)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- a single strand of mace (javitri)
- a small piece of stone flower (patthar ke phool or dagad phool or kalpasi)
- 3 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 cloves (laung)
- 1 teaspoon shah jeera (caraway seeds)
- 2 medium to large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1.5 tablespoon chopped mint leaves (pudina patta)
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) + 3 to 4 garlic cloves (lahsun) +1 green chili (hari mirch) – crushed to a paste in mortar pestle or in a small grinder or magic bullet.
- 1.5 to 2 cups water
- salt as required
for the layers:
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 2 pinch of saffron (kesar)
- 1 teaspoon kewra water (pandan) or rose water
preparing the rice:
first rinse the rice till the water runs clear of the starch.
then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins.
boil 4 cups of water in a pan or pot.
drain the rice and then add it to the boiling water.
add all the whole spices – mace, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and tejpatta.
season with salt and cook the rice till the grains are 3/4th cooked. drain and keep the rice aside.
once the all the steam has gone from the rice, cover the rice.
preparing the jackfruit gravy:
now apply oil on your palms, knife and chopping board.
chop the jackfruit and remove the seeds.
whilst chopping, keep on adding the chopped jackfruit in a pan or a large bowl of water so that they don’t darken.
if using chopped jackfruit already brought from outside, then rinse them in water.
the seeds can be added to vegetable dishes or in sambar or stir fries.
heat ghee in a dutch oven or a pot.
add all the whole spices – mace, stone flower, cinnamon, cloves, caraway seeds, cardamoms. saute for some seconds till fragrant.
add the sliced onions and fry them till they begun to get caramelized or golden.
when the onions begin to get golden, remove half of the onions and drain them on paper towels.
add ginger, garlic and green chili paste. saute for a few seconds till the raw aroma goes away.
then add the tomatoes, mint leaves and coriander leaves. saute for 1 to 2 mins.
add both the spice powders – red chili powder and turmeric powder
add the chopped jackfruit. stir and saute for 7 to 8 mins. then add the beaten yogurt.
stir and add water. add salt and cover the pot with its lid.
simmer the gravy till the jackfruit is cooked and tender.
if the water dries up while cooking, then you can add some water.
also soak saffron in warm milk and keep aside.
assembling the biryani:
in the same dutch oven or pot, on top of the jackfruit gravy, add half of the fried onions.
spread a second layer of rice. add all the rice in this layer.
if you want you can make 4 layers. then you will have to make these layers in another pan or pot.
sprinkle the saffron flavored milk along with the saffron threads, rose water or kewra water on the rice. also dot with ghee.
if dum cooking on stove top – heat a tava or griddle. when the tava becomes hot, lower the flame. place a moist kitchen napkin or towel on the pot covering it. then place the lid tightly. the moist napkin or towel should not touch the biryani. keep the pot on the tava and dum cook for 25 to 30 mins on a low flame.
if baking in oven – cover the lid of the dutch oven tightly. preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. place the dutch oven in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 mins.
once done, allow the jackfruit biryani to stand for 7 to 8 mins. later serve the kathal biryani with raita, pickle and papad.
JACKFRUIT MEATLESS-BALLS TACOS
Author: Vegan Richa
Recipe type: tacos
- For the jackfruit:
- 1 20 oz can jackfruit, drained (green jackfruit in brine), or about 2 cups pelled chopped green jackfruit
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- For the Veggie balls:
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 hot green chili, finely chopped or use cayenne to taste
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ⅓ to ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint (optional) or cilantro, or use ½ tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsp garlic paste or crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger paste or grated ginger
- 1 tsp oil + more as needed
- For the jackfruit: Combine all the ingredients (jackfruit + water + spices) in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. about 6 minutes. Cook for another 6 to 7 minutes. Total 14 minutes.
- Cool slightly, drain and keep aside.
- For the Veggie Balls: Meanwhile, dry roast 1 cup of chickpea flour in a large skillet over medium low heat. Stir every 2 minutes. about 7 to 8 minutes. or dry roast over medium heat and stir every 30 seconds to avoid burning. 4 to 5 minutes. The flour should start to smell nutty and change color slightly. Keep aside.
- Using a fork or a food processor shred the boiled and drained jackfruit. Add the spices, ginger, garlic, oil and mix well. Add ¾ cup chickpea flour and mix well. Add a tbsp flour at a time until the mixture starts to come together, not too sticky, but also not dry. Oil your hands and Shape the mixture by pressing lightly into 1 inch balls.
- To pan fry, add 1 to 2 tsp oil in a skillet and heat over medium high heat. When hot, add the jackfruit balls and pan fry for 1-2 minutes on all sides. (total 6 to 7 minutes).
- To Bake: Preheat the oven to 410 degrees F. Place the shaped balls on parchment lined baking sheet. Brush oil on top. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes.
- I like these balls pan-fried. Serve with marinara and vegan mozzarella in sub sandwich or tacos or over pasta.